- By Carlitos
To become a “kick-ass” Roboticist and Electrical Engineer.
I am a determined Electrical Engineer from McGill University specialized in Control & Automation, and Power Engineering. I possess advanced hardware and software skills, a substantive work experience, teamwork and communication skills, and a true passion for robotics and creative work.
BACHELOR IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING – CONTROL & AUTOMATION – POWER
McGill University: August 2004 – May 2008.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE – DEC
CEGEP André-Laurendeau: 2002 – 2004.
INTERNATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
École Internationale de Montréal: 1999 – 2002.
Proficiency in writing and speaking
Spanish, French, and English.
VHDL · Verilog
Altera Quartus · Xilinx ISE · Lattice ispLever · Altium designer
PSpice · EMTP-Works
Autocad · Microstation · SolidWorks
POSPac · SoftNav · OPC
Arduino · Microchip
Choregraph · ROS
C · Java · Assembler · Python · Qt
OpenOffice.org · MS Office
Gimp · Inkscape · Photoshop · Illustrator
3ds max · SketchUp · Solidworks
Maple · Matlab · Octave
Linux · Windows
HTML · CSS · Java Script
WrordPress · Joomla!
RobotShop Distribution Inc.
PROJECT ENGINEER & ROBOTICS SPECIALIST – January 2009 until present.
- Designed a cloud monitoring and communication system for robots: MyRobots.com
- Designed an Ethernet gateway (hardware and firmware) to connect robots to the cloud.
- Design DIY robotics projects.
- Provide technical advice regarding electronic, electrical, and mechanical components.
- Searched and select new products and suppliers suitable for distribution.
CanSat International Inc.
DIGITAL DESIGN ENGINEER – August to December 2009.
- Design and implement digital signal processing systems on a Lattice FPGA.
- Ensure that the implemented systems perform within specifications.
AUTOMATION INTERN – May to July 2009.
- Assisted in the development of automation programs for industrial laundry systems.
- Designed a motor controller to retrofit Fanuc S420F robotic arms.
Jr. PROJECT ENGINEER – April to October 2009.
- Assisted in designing and building a paint blending machine prototype for mass production.
- Designed an automated and autonomous painting system.
- Assisted in the design of a document management system for internal use.
WEBMASTER – March to June 2009.
- Designed, deployed and maintained a corporate website: orthodontieplus.com
- Provided an email, calendar and document management solution for the staff.
FIELD PROFESSIONAL – September to December 2008
- Verified and adjusted aerial pictures for correctness and suitability for the client’s needs.
- Planned and conducted aerial photographic and LiDAR topographical surveys.
- Operated the Vexcel camera, the Optec LiDAR, and high precision GPS units at various Quebec locations and at Lagos, Nigeria.
- Acted as the team leader in a one-month-long Nigerian mission.
LABORATORY ASSISTANT – Summer 2008
- Updated and designed the McGill Chemistry Research Group web page.
DIGITAL SYSTEM DESIGN TEACHING ASSISTANT – Winter 2008
- Leaded 2-hour tutorial sessions for a group of around 40 students.
- Answered questions, and provided useful examples and advise regarding theoretical and practical digital system design problems.
Ville de Montréal
GEOMATICS TECHNICAL AGENT – Summer 2007
- Researched and developed various ways of displaying 3D architectural data.
- Helped document the 3D modelling process.
GEOMATICS TECHNICAL AGENT (STUDENT) – Summer 2006
- Reorganized and thoroughly documented the Old Montreal 3D model set.
- Helped in the development of a standard classification system for 3D models according to their level of detail.
Inner City Day Camp
SHADOW – Summer 2005
- Assisted a mentally disabled child to participate in the camp activities.
ASSISTANT COUNSELLOR – Summer 2003
- Assisted a Camp Counsellor with the various camp activities and games.
Centre d’action sociocommunautaire de Montréal
HOMEWORK HELPER – 2000 to 2002 during the school year.
- Helped underprivileged elementary school children with their homework.
Cloud Robotics Hackathon: The World – March 2012 – Present
- Cofounded a yearly international cloud-robotics competition aiming to promote the creation of robotic applications.
- Coordinated all the aspects of the event, including logistics, technical expertise, and web presence.
- Gathered more than 200 people in seven cities around the world who were thrilled to hack robots during an entire weekend.
Aldebaran’s Nao Developer Program: The Web – February 2011 until present.
- Develop behaviours and applications for the humanoid robotic platform Nao
- Participate in public events in order to test the robot’s behaviour and the humans’ reaction to a humanoid robot.
- Integrate the Nao platform into a cloud-robotics service.
International Cooperation Trip: Ecuador – January 2009 to February 2010.
- Lead a group of CEGEP IB students in a trip to Ecuador.
- Built and deployed a wind power generator in a Ecuadorian indigenous community.
- Built and deployed a solar water heater for an indigenous Ecuadorian school.
Les Fonds Équateur: CEGEP André-Laurendeau – May 2009 until present.
- Deployed a forum enabling team member to exchange information and organize activities: ecuador.carlitoscontraptions.com
- Provided guidance for students deploying alternative energy systems in Ecuador.
McGill Autonomous Robotics Team: McGill University – April 2008 to August 2010.
- Acted as an external technical consultant for the team.
- Developed a low level control system for MARTy, the McGill AUV.
Lunar Excavator Team: McGill University – Summer 2008
- Integrate the excavator controllers and sensors in a single circuit board.
Carlitos’ Contraptions: carlitoscontraptions.com – 2006 until present.
- Document my do-it-yourself electronics and robotic projects.
- Act as a robotics consultant
CS Games: Laval University – March 2005.
- Participated in an interuniversity computer science competition.
- Designed the McGill team logos.
I am a determined Electrical Engineer specialized in Control & Automation, and Power Engineering. I possess advanced hardware and software skills, a substantive work experience, teamwork and communication skills, and a true passion for robotics and creative work.