Gadget Design Service
- By Carlitos
Have you ever needed an odd gadget, had a great invention idea that you would like to materialize, or would simply like to make your dream gadget but do not have the tools, the time, or the skills to do it? We know how that feels, and over time we have developed the skills, acquired the tools and now Carlitos’ Contraptions is ready to help you make your own gadget.
What type of gadget can you do?
Carlitos’ Contraptions can produce any sort of electronic gadget you can imagine. Using off-the shelf components we can put together mobile robots, kinetic art, control and automation systems, and most importantly cool looking blinking lights!
This is done in three steps: (1) get a free feasibility assessment, (2) we discuss the design and find the best way of making your gadget, and (3) get it done.
Read below for more details about these steps.
(1) Feasibility Assessment
In this step, you simply submit your gadget request to Carlitos’ Contraptions and imagine how it can be done given reasonable resources, time and for a reasonable cost.
If you want to make a time machine, a teleporter, a fully functional Gundam, or a sentient android, or a fighter jet, then it is likely that your project will be determined to be impossible.
On the other hand, if you request is more modest and involves controlling appliances via the web, a small robot that would fetch the newspaper in the morning, movie props with blinking lights and sound effects, or any similar device, then your project will be determined to be possible.
Since sometimes it is not obvious what is possible and what is not possible, we make this assessment for free. It wouldn’t be too pleasant to commit to a project only to find out it is impossible.
(2) Defining the Project
Once we have made a quick assessment of the project, we define the gadget requirements, the materials to be used, the completion deadline, and the cost. In short, we produce a quote.
The payment is done in two parts: 70% of the project cost is paid upfront, and the remaining 30% is paid upon delivery.
Once the first 70% payment is done, we start the production. Upon completion you are required to pay the remaining 30% in order for us to ship the gadget to your doorstep.
(3) Making the Gadget
We use off-the-shelf electronics and products in order to create the gadgets. Since we love open source hardware and software, we will provide a discount for those willing to create an open source gadget. See some project and gadget samples in the blog section.